Best baby name of the year and possibly decade goes to friends of friends whose last name starts with M, and who have called their recent baby Thomas Oliver (or Owen or Oscar). So not only is his name Tom, but his initials are also TOM. I was SO IMPRESSED by this. Seriously. Ingenious.
Here are some names I might call my children:
- Eeyore (firstborn). Is a good name which never gets used. Mentioned this to Andrea, and she said, "Aren't your children going to be called Biscuit and Salty or something?"
- Whistle, Biscuit and Hedge (if triplets). This is best combination ever.
- Alexander (although I also like Max and Zach. My baby is totally going to be hardcore enough for a name with x's and z's. Why is their no name with both? Maybe I will create on. Zunix? Xazot? Pozax? Man, Pozax is a great name.)
- Ruby - I used to like this name for a girl, but then Kate said it was a hooker name and now I'm going to have to go with one of my backup choices of Cherry, Charmaine or Jazmin.
- Tarquin - although I have been told repeatedly that this is a horrible thing to call a child, surely it would be ok as middle name? Is better than Bucket-face or Death Mongrel.
- Brucena - female form of Bruce. I am not kidding, at my old job one of my clients was called Brucena. She was a lovely lady too.
- Adolf - this is a lovely-sounding name. Cannot work out why it is so unpopular.
- Zippy - brilliant name. "This is my son, Zippy." Although Kate once had a guinea-pig (guineapig? guinea pig? cavy?) called Zippy. Kate ruins all my good baby names.
- Yes (because my last name is pronounced M'Lord. 'You Rang' is also a contender)
- Anything on the Tom TOM principle - Sam Ashton Mullord. Timothy Ignatius Mullord. Pamela Anderson Mullord.
Of course, you have to get it past the Department of Internal Affairs, who can be kind of picky (they denied a couple who wanted to call their twins Fish and Chips).
Hey, people who have children, what did you call them? Why did you call them that?
People who do not have children, what would you call a child, if, I don't know, someone left it on your doorstep and you had to take it in?
Incidentally, a list of top 10 names for intelligent children was recently published in the UK and my name (Alice) is totally on it. Does anyone know how to fix a headset which has mayonnaise in it? It's still not really working so well.