Everyone has been overwhelmingly helpful - people have offered stories and tips and lessons and names of instructors. Mum and I go out driving a couple of times a day and everything is coming together. Sort of.
Driving Manoeuvres I Can Now Complete
- Driving on the actual road (as opposed to round and round the carpark (goes the teddy bear))
- Being in 3rd gear (and 4th if I am feeling brave); changing gears without undue fuss or swearing ("Fuck! I'm in neutral! Fuck! Sorry Mum.")
- Hill starts (currently, small hills are my forte)
- Roundabouts, although a couple of scary moments arose when it turned out that what I think 'inside lane' means and what my mother thinks it means are completely different lanes. Surely the inside lane is the lane closest to the middle of the roundabout? I should maybe read the Road Code. Someone remind me.
- Remaining stationary, wondering why I wasn't taking off, for an entire traffic light cycle - turns out I was in neutral all along. Sorry about that, cars behind me. Thank you for not honking.
- Swearing at cyclists
- Giving other motorists the finger - some wanker coming out of a supermarket car park in a big SUV saw my L plates and decided to amuse himself by pretending to pull out right in front of me (but stopping short just in time), so that I braked hard and shouted, "fucking PRICK," startling my mother. And then... I gave him the finger. (Must remember not to do that in company car.)
Also, I've developed an irrational fear of rolling backwards into someone while I'm getting underway at lights/intersection. I knew something was going to be my Big Driving Worry, but I expected it would be 'getting stuck in the middle of the road waiting to turn right', or 'stalling at intersections' (these are both Minor Driving Worries). Instead, it is when you're on a slight incline (or not on an incline, just kinda paranoid) and someone is right on your tail and you there is that moment between 'foot off the brake' and 'car starts to proceed forwards' where car could roll backwards into the vehicle of the impatient douchebag behind you.
Does anyone else fear this? Does it ever happen?